Monday, April 14, 2014

What not to say to a Cushie:

What not to say to a Cushie:...Or anyone else, really, cause it's just rude!  Imagine saying this to someone with MS?  Or Cancer?  Just because our illness involves a loss of energy and massive weight gain, does not make it okay.
You think you're tired? OMG I have travelled so much during the last month, I can barely see straight!

You are lucky! I wish I could get that much time off work!

You could stand to gain a few pounds anyway...

I bet you'll feel a lot better if you just go for a little run. Just force yourself to get back out there.

My Dentist: "So what are the symptoms of Cushings anyway?" I explain weakness, tiredness, etc. The Dentist and hygienist laugh and both say maybe they have it too, then.

So do you think you got this because you are a workaholic?

Coworkers ask if I want to do Zumba. (I guess they really don't understand how I feel...I can barely walk upstairs).

"When are you due?" My answer is always three months.

Why don't you try Weight Watchers? That always works for me when I need to lose those extra 5 pounds after Christmas...

In a Christmas card this year: "If you have your health, you have everything!" Gee, thanks for letting me know I have nothing!

Just decide to be happy/healthy/stress-free.

You'd gain muscle strength if you'd do more.

Maybe you should start taking more Vitamin C, Zinc, etc....

If you exercised, you'd have MORE energy.

Have you tried a juice fast?

How often do you eat at McDonalds? It could be fatty liver disease.

Well, if I stopped exercising, I'd gain weight too!

How much of you doing nothing is necessary, and how much is you just trying to conserve energy?

You'd be able to sleep at night if you just learned to shut off your brain.

Well, that's a relief! The endocrinologist said there's nothing wrong with you!

If there was something wrong, it would have showed up on a test or MRI by now....

It's not good for you to stay stuck in the house all the time. You need to try and keep up your regular routine. (This from an endocrinologist)

Well, at least it's not cancer! (Or ebola/ flesh eating disease/ what I had 10 years ago)

When you hear hoof beats...think horses, not zebras.

It's just low Vitamin D.

You must be depressed.
"Don't you get bored sitting at home all day, not working or going anywhere?"  As if I'm actually sitting at home all day doing nothing...

Oh trust me, I know all about hormone problems. Last week I had THE WORST PMS!!!

After I explained to a coworker about Cushings, she said to me: "My niece has weight problems so she went to an endocrinologist and after she did some tests to see if it was a hormone problem, which it wasn't, she did some diet and exercise and it worked! You should do the same." I just turned my back to her.

Have you tried walking?


When explaining why surgery didn't bring a cure: "Doctor's just tell you the worst-case scenario.  Stop being so negative!"

(These posts are shared with permission of the original poster's, from a Cushing's support group, edited by me for typos and clarity.)

1 comment:

  1. Oh I so get this Catherine! I've been pregnant since 2006 yep I'm carrying a 14 yr old fetus....no wonder I'm pained, weak and exhausted! lol

    ReplyDelete