Friday, May 18, 2012

Hands that lift

There have been a number of people who have shown us small acts of kindness during our struggles, often without any outside prompting.  These hands have lifted us up in times of need...without judgement, lectures or threats.  I've thanked them already in person, and though I don't intend to share this blog locally, I will express thanks to them specifically here anyway in no particular order.  I figure it is safe to share first names...

To Karleen who has helped us from the beginning, whenever able.  She's cleaned my kitchen, washed dishes, sewed Christmas quilts, folded laundry, vacuumed the floor, helped wrangel kids at church, traveled with me when I shouldn't do so alone, babysat so we could go out for an anniversary dinner, watched children so I could attend appointments and even stayed with them so Britton could travel with me for my MRI, taken kids on walks, driven me to meetings when I couldn't drive, attended meetings as a third party, called to asked how I was doing, brought meals, and has never questioned the validity of my being sick or the effort that Britton has made.

To Lorrie who watched kids for an ultrasound, took them to make Christmas crafts, and threw us a lovely baby shower.

To the sisters who made freezer meals when asked by Lily (and Lily for asking), though I only know of two of you...Sandy and Lily.

To Sydney and Theresa...you may have been paid to do your jobs, but we all know there are nurses and then there are nurses.  You take it beyond medicine and truly care.

To my aunt who visited me in the hospital during the days to help watch Millie so I could rest, who brought me my medication when I couldn't get to the pharmacy, and who took time from her busy schedule so that my mom can come see us from time to time.

To Camille who has become a good friend.  She's experienced first-hand the kind of fatigue issues I've had when her daughter was ill and recovering, and she's also experienced inappropriate judgement and conduct in ways similar to what we've been experiencing.  Being able to talk with her from time to time, email, and have her ask how I'm doing (and want to know the full answer) has been invaluable.  She has also brought us meals, washed and sorted baby clothes to help us get ready, stopped by to chat, and stayed with me a couple nights following my emergency cesarean in the hospital.  I couldn't care for my daughter by myself and she became a live-in grandma that offered emotional support and allowed me the opportunity to sleep!

To Karen who made us a meal after Millie was born, completely out of a desire to serve and on her own accord.

To my mom who talks to me on the phone daily though she cannot be here, helped sew the Christmas quilts, sewed some burp rags, sends meals off and on for us, gave us her air miles for travel, and always sends a treat up for the kids (much to Britton's dismay!).

To Aaron who has helped care for chickens and goats when Britton was out of town.

To Philip and Julie who cooked us a lovely Easter dinner, treated our kids to an Easter egg hunt, helped clean up while they were here, offered to help in whatever ways they could from the East coast, and are helping pay for the cleaning help we're getting one to two days a week.

To Ken who has allowed us to take his wife from him on many occasions.

To Valerie who took time out of her brief vacation to first visit me in the hospital, then volunteed to watch my 5 children so Britton could attend the priesthood session.  In the two hours she was here watching children she had our house cleaned from top to bottom!

To Ruby who stayed with me the other nights in the hospital to take care of Millie, and who also sent us a meal shortly after we went home.

To my visiting teachers, Jen and Stephanie, who organized the group of ladies that came to my house to clean for an hour, who each brought us a meal (one that night and one the next), did the dishes again in February, and originally tried to set up ongoing meals and help.

To Teresa who had the unfortunate luck of asking me how I was doing after a particularly emotional sacrament meeting in February.  She brought a meal the very next day, on her own accord, and then sent a frozen meal later. 

To MaryAnn who also watched our kids for an ultrasound and who watched them again so that we could go out for a lunch date.  She's frequently offered to watch our then-five children and if I'd had the umph to get them ready and drive to and fro, we'd have taken her up on that offer for sure.

To the sisters who came to clean my house that Monday in January...Jaylyn, Janae, Jen, Tina (Teana?), Kristen, and Stephanie.  Hope I didn't forget someone.

To Joy who sewed our fabulous newborn diapers after we cut them out, along with some lovely burp rags.

And lastly, to the people on the hormone-disorder forums and groups of which I am now a part, for sharing your own experiences so I don't feel so alone and abnormal, for your support and encouragement, and for sharing your collective wealth of knowledge.

2 comments:

  1. Catherine, that is a very nice post. I am thankful also for those who are willing to help you and your family in time(s) of need. If I were still there I would be one of them. Please keep me updated! In my prayers!!!
    Dani Gilbert

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry you are going through this. I understand your frustration. I have Sheehan's Syndrome and I have seen Dr Friedman. He is very caring n has an open ear. I am so happy to read that you have a much needed support system.
    My Best
    Lisa aka HypoGal

    ReplyDelete